Tuesday, July 25, 2006

There Is No Love From England

I understand why dogs bite the letter carriers.


I've always thought of England as a magical place where folks have moved past the Dark Ages. Alas, today reality bit me in the ass. Hard.

I've been corresponding with a family in England since we met last year. They were sort of friends of friends of a college buddy of my Dad's. They're part of the reason we went to England last summer. I was going to stay with them while I went to school there.

When we last spoke on the phone, they let me know I was welcome to bring a boyfriend with me to stay while I went to school, as long as he went to school or worked. That was in May.

In my last letter, I mentioned Kate. Now, I didn't propose or even suggest that she was coming with me, in fact Kate and I had just met a few days before. It was more just banter about what had been going on in my life. They had been keeping me up with things in the family there, I was keeping them up with things in my family.

Yeah...

Today a letter comes telling me that they aren't so sure my staying with them would be such a good idea after all. They have a 15 year old daughter (with whom I'd also been swapping mail) and apparently I may not be such a good influence on her. Now amazingly just a few weeks ago I was someone that she could emulate.

Well I wonder what changed between then and now...hmmm... let me think about that...

So now, not only do I not have a place to live, they withdrew their recommendation of me.

No home, no school, no visa.

I have to get off this rollercoaster. It's driving me nuts.

Kate's been great, she's been cuddling and petting me all afternoon. I was stressing over leaving her and running off to England, anyway, so I guess this will at least help my stress level.

But the whole thing still just sucks. It's a crappy way to go about things.

It's not too late to register at Coastal Carolina, though. I can go there for the first couple years and get my English 101 and stuff out of the way, then transfer to UNC or State. I don't think I want to go back to Columbus. OSU is a great school and all, but I'm kinda likin' the weather here.

I don't know if things really "happen for a reason", but right now I hope so. I'll certainly be happy to be with Kate. Of course, we'll still have to find our own place to live. We can't mooch off Ruthie forever.

Well we could try, but she'd get wise eventually.

grin

I think I'm going to bed now.


3 Eloquent Orations:

On 7/26/2006 12:29:00 AM, Blogger blipey waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Sorry to hear about the no-school thing. That sucks--IMO, it sucks most for not being something that is ultimately in your control.

I'm not sure that things happen for over-arching destined kind of reasons, but whatever happens we do the best we can with what we're given. Fortunately, many of us have others in life that willing to help us make a good go of it.

I'm certainly not asking for answers from you, but thought I'd mention a couple of things to think over.

1. How excited were you about going to England for school (regardless of any other aspects of your life)?

a) Why or why not?
b) Were these feelings about school for yourself or did they concern others?

2. What did you hope to accomplish by schooling overseas?

a) Can those goals still be met?
b) If goals must change, are you okay with that?

I quess I'm trying to say, "What lessons would you like to learn"? I don't think there are many "wrong" choices you could make (from my decidedly ignorant vantage). regardless of book-learning, life-experience, people-meeting, etc: which path do you get the most out of?

Always so sweet you are.

 

On 7/26/2006 12:54:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Truthfully, I was starting to get antsy about it anyway. Not just because of Kate. Before I even met her, I had been chewing over whether I was ready to be that far from home for that amount of time.

I have some security here. If I want to go home tomorrow, no prob. Not that I would, but I COULD. Not that simple with an ocean in the way, y'know?

Thanks for the love, blipey. I'll be thinkin' on all that.

I just wish it had been my choice.

JanieBelle

 

On 7/27/2006 10:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Would you tell me about the sponsorship thingy. I know you mentioned it in a post way back at the beginning of the blog but I'm lazy today. Requirements, standards, obligations, what was expected from all three sides of this situation, that sort of thing.

By the way I keep biscuits in my car for the dogs.

vino of wil

 

Post a Comment

Oratory is now open to everyone. PLEASE don't make me moderate it. Also, be kind enough to sign your orations.