Friday, September 08, 2006

All Good Things

Having no real good reason to continue, it's time to pack it in.


Sad, but true. Kate and I are happy to have made y'all's aquaintance. We've poked around a bit in science, literature, politics, religion, sex, heresy, sports, and even a bit of comedy.

It's been an interesting ride. I started this blog with a modest little aim. Nothing so grandiose as to upset the blogoverse, nothing so high and lofty as to even educate myself about science. Within a few days, I had met many interesting people. Some of you I knew a little from your various writings and musings around the web, none of you I knew well enough to call friend. I think that's changed.

We have to say goodbye to some very special people, who've taken quite the interest in our little blog here. At the top of the list, of course, is Blipey. Blipey the Shakespeare Quoting Snuffleupagus, Blipey the Clown, Blipey the fellow who took special interest in my science education. I've learned quite a bit about science and humor from you, sir. I hope that you will miss me as much as I will miss you.

guthrie, you have invested so much time and effort, I can't even begin to properly recognize you for all the care and concern you have taken regarding my science education.

Zachriel, patience is thy name. How you ever perservered and remained so level headed, I'll never know. Your science assistance has been invaluable.

Alan Fox, your continued contributions will always be remembered with great fondness.

Lifewish, both your science help and your technical assistance were integral to this blog.

Richard Hughs, late comer to the party, nevertheless helpful and kind. I'm sorry you missed the beginning of the fun.

Steve Story, I've always enjoyed your commentary, but you have been a huge pain in my ass. I mean that in the most affectionate of ways, no snark or nuthin'.

Bourgeois Rage, Leper Colony, AJ, Sean, Arden Chatfield, IAMB, Chris Hyland, Rogue Historian, vino, and whoever I may have inadvertantly missed, to all of you - You may have not commented as much, but your contributions will always be valued.

In particular, I'd like to say something to Dohn Asswipe Javison - Get back on the meds, you sick fuck.

We've been visited by some pretty heavy hitters over the past few months. Dr. Wesley Elsberry, Dr. Tara Smith, and Dr. Phil Plait, to name some names. I really am a huge fan of all three.

Of course, no list of "thank you"s would be complete here without a big ol' tongue kiss to Dave Springer. Without you, Dave, this blog would never have happened at all. I have been terribly impressed with the amount of self control you exhibited, at least in the beginning. I would never have believed it, had someone told me about it. You have been gentlemanly to us at all times, and chivalrous. That said, it's rather disgusting and revolting that you would crawl on your knees back to Dembski. I would also not have believed that, had someone just told me about it. I almost believed you had some character while you were here.

Speaking for both Kate and myself, I can truly say that we are sad, enlightened, happy, resigned, and entirely fictional, and it's time for the story to end. This is the final act in our little bit of "Street Theatre".

Before I begin the flashback, I have to make an apology to Dr. Elsberry.

Dr. Elsberry,

I must apologize for violating the board rules at AtBC. I did what I did in full knowlege of the rule against sock puppetry and make no excuse. I was fully aware of the rule, and fully aware that I was violating it, and fully aware that I would be banned for it. I hold no resentment toward you for enforcing that rule, and consider myself banned as of this moment. I do hope you will see fit to allow me to continue reading there and at the Thumb, though.

Now, on with the show.

Please turn back in your programs to Page 19 of The Bathroom Wall. There you will find a little conversation between Lou FCD and Arden Chatfield. It's the conversation that began it all.

Lou FCD mentions that he now feels like "somebody" at The Panda's Thumb since he's been banished to the bathroom wall for the first time.
Arden notes that one is not somebody at AtBC until one receives a ban from UD from DaveTard with boldface insult.

Thus, the gauntlet was thrown down.

Knowing that Dave reads AtBC, I thought it wise to employ some misdirection, so I opined that I would have to wait a while, but immediately went and began building this blog and posting at UD. Remember, this blog was meant to suck in one person. It was tailor made for that one person. I would have had a bit smoother time had you loudmouths at AtBC kept your traps shut. In the end, though, your persistant and very vocal thoughts about my secret identity actually did more to lend credence to my personna than anything else, so I humbly thank you all for being jerks. I really am going to miss you all, especially Steve. Ya big lunk. I humbly beg your forgiveness for having to sacrifice you for the cause. You've probably got the one sense of humor in all of cyberdom that might be able to laugh about that. I hope you do. I have family in the R.D. area, sometime we'll have to get together for a beer... assuming you aren't going to beat the crap out of me or something. I figure I at least owe you a beer or two.

While I achieved the ban, it was actually from Dembski himself. I hope that qualifies as fulfilling the challenge. Getting DaveTard to defend me and quit UD was just icing on the cake. Drawing Javison in to be tormented was... well I'm not really sure whether that was a good thing or a bad thing, but it certainly provided some comedy. I hope I have given you each at least one smile with The Big Green Marker.

Alas, the Law of Unintended Consequences took root, and Uncommonly Dense was just not the same without the UberTard. So it was that I attempted to rectify the situation by building Dave his own blog... which he unceremoniously rejected. As MorphoDyke er.. I mean O'Leary continued to raise the "too dumb to even bother with" quotient, I felt I had no choice but to allow the evolution dogs free reign, to chase Dave back into Dembski's waiting arms.

Well, there's plenty of gory details left, but to post them all would require a novel, as each and every comment and post was so carefully planned, and everything that possibly could go wrong, did. I spent a great deal of time planning, and then even more time controlling the damage when my plans fell to pieces.

Honestly, I don't know how I ever pulled it off. I will confess to having continuing advice from someone I refer to as my own Karl Rove, but that person will have to decide whether to "come out" all by themself. I can't, in good conscience, do it for them, though much credit is due. Thank you for everything, Karl.

Lastly, just for fun, I believe I'll keep JanieBelle and Kate around. I think their adventures are worth persuing, albeit in a more publicly fictional way.

Cheers to you all, and thanks for the ride. It was fun.

Lou FCD

39 Eloquent Orations:

On 9/08/2006 03:55:00 PM, Blogger IAMB waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

I wondered if you were ever going to come out, and was actually beginning to think that you'd keep this up forever. It's been one hell of a ride, and I feel privileged to have been a small part of it from the beginning.

Hats off, Lou. Not only did you meet AC's challenge...

... You blew it completely out of the fucking water.

 

On 9/08/2006 03:56:00 PM, Blogger Rich Hughes waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Well, there goes the threesome I had planned!

Top work, Lou!

 

On 9/08/2006 04:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Now I know how Hugh Grant felt!

 

On 9/08/2006 04:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

*clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap

-steve s

 

On 9/08/2006 04:22:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Thank you all for your applause and appreciation.

You will understand, of course, if I don't further irritate Wes by responding there. So far he hasn't given me the IP boot where I can't read there, and I hope that stays the same.

It really HAS been a Hell of a ride, and quite fun, really.

I can't bring myself to say goodbye to the girls. They rock.

 

On 9/08/2006 04:33:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

IAMB,

Well, all good things. I'm glad you were there from the beginning, too. You were actually one of our very first, if not THE first commenter.

Rich,

Why?

:)

biogeer,

Actually, that's my daughter's blog, who set it up just for this, and we really did go to London. I just didn't show you guys all the pictures with my family in it. A lot of this blog is actually very accurate, if you just replace the names.

Arden,

Well it was your comment that got me thinking, so you deserve at least some of the credit. Your challenge is met, I hope?

Steve,

Thanks (for not clocking me) we really will have to have a few beers next time I'm up that way.

 

On 9/08/2006 05:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Well it was your comment that got me thinking, so you deserve at least some of the credit. Your challenge is met, I hope?

Don't worry, if it was up to me, you'd be awarded a lifetime chair at ATBC. :-)

 

On 9/08/2006 05:36:00 PM, Blogger Kristine waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

It seems Davey needs a refresher in design detection.

Indeed!

At the risk of waking one of those three billy goats gruff, what is it that JAD says (interminably)? "I love it so!"

This whole blog waxed damn near poetic.

 

On 9/08/2006 05:40:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Thanks Kristine,

"It's hard to believe isn't it?"

 

On 9/08/2006 05:44:00 PM, Blogger Lifewish waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

There aren't enough Loki points in the world, mate...

Thanks for this, it's been an experience.

 

On 9/08/2006 05:48:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Kristine,

"At the risk of waking one of those three billy goats gruff..."

Let the troll come.

"I have two great big horns so stout,
With them I'll thrust your eyeballs out!"

 

On 9/08/2006 05:50:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Lifewish,

Thank you, sir. I'm glad you enjoyed the ride. Mind the gap, mate.

 

On 9/08/2006 07:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Wes is pissed off? What about?

 

On 9/08/2006 07:16:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

I don't KNOW that he is, I just suspect he may be.

Sockpuppetry is definitely Verboten.

 

On 9/08/2006 07:34:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Ok, I'm answering all sorts of email about Wes.

Let me stress, I haven't heard a word from Wes either way. I have, however, violated the rules of HIS blog, and that violation is cause for banning.

It wouldn't be right for me to comment there again unless he granted me some sort of papal dispensation or something.

 

On 9/08/2006 09:30:00 PM, Blogger Zachriel waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

But, but what about the clowns?

 

On 9/08/2006 09:32:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

I can do clowns. How many clowns do you want?

 

On 9/08/2006 10:37:00 PM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Wow. I'm flattered. All this just for little old me?

Just in case you ever wondered why GilDodgen at Uncommon Descent stopped sweet talking you - I emailed him early on and told him at best you were probably a middle aged fag pretending to be a woman and at worst trolling to trap me in a compromising situation with a 17 year old girl. Didn't work, did it? I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. LOL

Dave, while that was suggested to me, I thought that was overboard and chose not to pursue that angle. You had been rather chivalrous and gentlemanly, and didn't deserve that. I think you're downplaying how much you wanted to believe.

Gil thanked me profusely for the tip and said he was so innocent the thought of someone playing him never occured to him. Ask Gil if you don't believe me. I don't think he could lie to save his life. He's one of the good guys in this world. They just don't get any better.

It was Kate that had me going. JanieBelle was never very convincing. Which is exactly why Kate came along. The jailbait age is what did it. I smelled a setup there from the word go no setup in the way you're thinking. and tried to back out without hurt feelings in case I was wrong. Then along came Kate. A stroke of genius there. Thank you. The USMC references were excellent because I did my time, posing as a comrade in arms was pure genius, and being of legal age even across states lines meant I had no reason to back away. So I played along as long as it remained interesting enough, which it did for a few weeks. I found it interesting, and am actually glad you came by, but DAJ's blog and your spamming of it on "our" behalf say a lot about how much you really did believe. Still I remained the proprietary gentleman yes, you did. albeit with the affected rough language people expect of gruff old Marine sergeants. I can role play too. I really was a Marine sergeant but I'm not profane at all in real life.

Sorry I wasn't the one to ban you. Quitting UD had nothing to do with you. You flatter yourself. Come on, Dave, you were pissed when Denyse was giving Janie shit. Josh Bozeman and Denyse O'Leary had everything to do with it. The timing was merely coincidental. I bagged on O'Leary with the little black marker and offended Bill's Christian values with the "women beg me to impregnate them" comment. Bozeman wrote O'Leary and Dembski doing his best to inflame the situation. Probably others wrote him too. Admittedly that WAS over the top. Bill told Bozeman to take a hike but O'Leary sided with Bozeman and I went ballistic on her in a private email which I had no doubt she'd forward to Dembski. I gave Bill an easy way out of the situation by writing a public ultimatum "let me have my way or I resign". Bill's a helluva nice guy and he was under a lot of stress at the time. So he accepted my resignation and everyone got what they wanted without looking bad. And I really was burned out moderating. Wesley Elsberry guessed correctly on the real reason behind it all. He's not as dumb as he looks.

Bill Dembski asked me back not the other way around. I was content just commenting again after a 6 week summer vacation spent partying on the lake and catching up on neglected boat chores and hanging out here, admit it, you enjoyed yourself.. In fact he didn't even ask me to start moderating again. I just logged in one day and found my account restored to the highest adminstrative level and then found an email saying how invaluable I'd been to the blog and welcome back. I thanked him and said I'd try to be little more restrained than I'd been in the past.

And JAD is rebanned already. Good move. He's bad news. His second chance didn't last past the first day he began commenting again. I didn't expect it would last but I wanted to come off as the good guy willing to forgive and forget which of course I did while he played the implacable ass as only Davison can. Damn I'm good. Well not banned banned, just moderated on every comment. The only person I ever really banned was Blipey who must be a very sad clown right now due to these revelations. I really don't think he likes girls but he needs friends and thought he had found some. Blipey's been aware of the gag for some time, and suspected something was up from the beginning. You ought to be ashamed for that. I almost feel sorry for him. Don't bother, blipey and I have had some great conversations about science and literature, and I wouldn't hesitate to call him friend.

 

On 9/08/2006 10:55:00 PM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Oh yeah, the 15-year old cousin you said had a crush on me because of my lovable puppy stories. I certainly am lovable but that was just SO obviously a trap. I didn't get within a country mile of it. Red flags all over the place. Care to be honest enough to admit what you were trying to accomplish? Well maybe you shouldn't. It could be a crime. Ask daddy about that. ROFLMAO As I said, Dave. I chose not to go down the road you suggest. You didn't deserve such a thing.

 

On 9/08/2006 11:10:00 PM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Hey, thanks for pointing to that segment in the bathroom wall. I don't read it so it was great fun seeing even more of Paul Meyers and Lenny Flank Comedy Show. Hard to believe Meyers has a doctorate and a respectable job teaching young minds, isn't it? Kind of scary too. I thought universities were more discriminating in choosing faculty who would represent it in a professional manner at all times. Silly me. You'll note I'm not much on PZ's rabid evangelical atheism, either. I have to admit I lost a great deal of respect for him over that very discussion. Lenny, however, rocks.

 

On 9/08/2006 11:24:00 PM, Blogger blipey waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

But it's really the unerasable amounts of tard-crap we have that is your legacy, LOU. For that, well done. Even to the last, it's still working.

Dave's accusations may be right, they may not be (as entrapment is concerned), but his inability to actually see the content of this blog (even now) is STILL SO FUCKING FUNNY.

A lovely little game, well played. I'm sorry to see it go.

 

On 9/08/2006 11:25:00 PM, Blogger blipey waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

And how would you now what university faculty are like?

 

On 9/08/2006 11:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Hard to believe Meyers has a doctorate and a respectable job teaching young minds, isn't it? Kind of scary too. I thought universities were more discriminating in choosing faculty who would represent it in a professional manner at all times. Silly me.

Yeah, if only he had a subscription to 'Scientific American', then he'd be qualified, eh?

 

On 9/09/2006 12:02:00 AM, Blogger blipey waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

At the top of the list, of course, is Blipey. Blipey the Shakespeare Quoting Snuffleupagus, Blipey the Clown, Blipey the fellow who took special interest in my science education. I've learned quite a bit about science and humor from you, sir.

The part about humor: thank-you very much. The part about science: god, let's hope not.

I only hope to promote a rational approach to thinking about issues in life. I don't claim to be any sort of scientist or an expert in anything except live performance. Contrary to the beliefs of many, this doesn't rule out an ability to think logically--a goal everyone can hopefully accomplish.

Once again, thank-you to UDOJ for pointing out one of the places where this goal has not been accomplished. Hopefully it has presented a lesson that lurkers and future readers can learn from.

 

On 9/09/2006 12:35:00 AM, Blogger Kristine waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

That's because it was actually off the blather wagon, just a few hours ago.

I'm pretty naive and new to this game but even I guessed that DaveBloTard was going to "know it all along."

Time for the third billy goat to grunt, but he doesn't seem to show up here, and anyway, he ran away from a bet with me and I'm persona non grata to him. Too bad. Missing out on all those "kisses," the prude. (Yeah, and "happy sixty-nineing" yourself JAD, you sixty-plus ninny.)

Hugs.

 

On 9/09/2006 02:08:00 AM, Blogger Rich Hughes waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

*points at Dave an laughs*

 

On 9/09/2006 02:26:00 AM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

biogeer

As usual, you just don't get it. The point was to keep you posting;

As usual, you're talking out of your ass. This blog was created on June 30th and my last article on Uncommon Descent was July 18th. No one had a clue I'd be on hiatus there until the day it happened. Even I didn't know until that day. "JanieBelle" introduced herself on UD on June 29th a day before the first blog entry. If the quality of your research in other areas is just as shabby you're in big trouble, son.

Speaking of shoddy research there Dave, the first blog post here was Wednesday, June 28th, the day BEFORE I popped into UD. Check your own links.

Kisses,
JanieBelle

 

On 9/09/2006 06:10:00 AM, Blogger Alan Fox waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Late to the feast, as usual. Not much for me to say except:

Thanks for the time and effort you put in, Lou, brilliant job.

PS to Dave:

Take it on the chin and smile. It was all only pixels on a screen, after all!

 

On 9/09/2006 06:56:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Well, Dave. Though your spin is predictable, it's not nearly as rabid or insane as most predicted.

To quote you, "If they can't take a joke, fuck 'em."

Laugh about it. It was good clean fun, I'm sure you can see that.

And to your credit, I would like to point out again that for some time at this blog, you were really rather well behaved.

And really, thanks for sticking up for Janie at DAJ's blog. That big spam fest over there on Janie's behalf was very stand-up-guy of you.

 

On 9/09/2006 06:59:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

blipey,

"A lovely little game, well played. I'm sorry to see it go."

As am I. I've grown rather fond of the girls, and I don't believe I'll shut the blog down, just change the focus.

Life and times of two fictional girls, I think.

 

On 9/09/2006 07:47:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Alan,

At AtBC - "I thought Steve's posts about having a contact at Camp Lejeune was a brilliant ruse, but is Steve saying now he wasn't in on it?"

For reasons which I have explained above, I'm going to answer your question here.

No, Steve was never in on it. He suspected from day one, and was very vocal about that (much to my consternation), but was never let in on the joke. At some point along the line, he decided the joke was more important than actually knowing the name of the perpetrator and took it upon himself to help.

Steve was a little in the wind that night, and although his assistance would pass muster with a civilian, a former Marine would never have bought it. Thus I sent a "boo hoo" email to Dave to the effect of "holy shit, he had us scared there for a minute that he actually DID know someone at LeJeune, and he might have gotten Kate in trouble."

To Dave's credit, he was a perfect gentleman, discreet and consoling, in an "Uncle Dave" sort of way, as he was on every one of his sparse emails to Janie and Kate.

Though I'm not a big fan of publishing private email, let me quote just a little of the conversation...

Boo Hoo from Janie...

"Kate is a little wigged out over that whole Steve Story incident.

Before we realized that he made that Captain guy up, she was way freaked. She had one of her meetings yesterday, and there were a bunch of people there she didn't know, so it could have been any of them. Talk about bad timing. Had she been home all day, we'd have known right away he was full of shit.

She's feeling a little better about it now, but that guy has got some issues that are scary all by themselves.

Anyways, she's going to keep a fairly low profile for the next few
weeks, and wants you to understand why she isn't going to make any comments on the Corps until after the 20th. It's not that she's blowing you off, but he really had her in tears this morning when she saw all that.

That's kind of why I made a big funny out of the whole thing, to sort of let some of the air out of the situation. It seems to have calmed things down a bit, and I don't think anyone believes his bullshit story. Of course, now I think they are all suspecting that we are HIS sockpuppets, so that's pretty funny all by itself."


"Uncle Dave" responds...

"I understand Kate's distress. If it makes her feel any better I don't think there's anywhere near enough evidence for anyone to do anything. They've really got to catch her red handed in the act. Rumor won't cut it. Besides, she's getting out anyhow, and the worst thing that can happen for this particular infraction is an adminstrative discharge. As we say in the Corps "What are they going to do to me, take away my birthday?" No sweat. And I'll lay off the Marine comradery until she's out."

Surprisingly, way down deep inside, I really do believe there's a decent fellow in Dave. It just takes the right finesse to bring him out.

:-)

 

On 9/09/2006 08:42:00 AM, Blogger OM waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

knew all along, hence you were up at 3:26 AM defending yourself. Sure

Come over my place baby
http://csibluffing.blogspot.com/

and give me some of that CSI action you've been holding out on for so long.

 

On 9/09/2006 01:55:00 PM, Blogger Lou FCD waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Juju,

"I knew all along."

Perhaps, but as I recall, your finger was pointing in the wrong direction. Lots of people suspected a farce, only a very few knew the whole story.

I assume you mean this fellow...






I'm a big fan myself.

 

On 9/09/2006 01:56:00 PM, Blogger Lou FCD waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

"Great job, LOU,"

And thank you for that.

 

On 9/09/2006 02:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

So, Lou, now that it's all over can we have those nude pictures of Janie and Kate? Since Kate's not real, the Marines shouldn't really mind if she posts a picture of herself and...

Oh wait. Never mind.

 

On 9/09/2006 02:30:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Well we did get a referral from this blog earlier today, when someone hit the "next blog" button.

That might keep ya busy for a while.

:)

 

On 9/09/2006 02:32:00 PM, Blogger Lou FCD waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

She's so bad...

 

On 9/11/2006 10:45:00 AM, Blogger Clint Bourgeois waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Great stuff!

 

On 9/11/2006 11:56:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Thanks BR!

Haven't seen your cute little icon around much lately. Hope you haven't forgotten about us!

Kisses,

Bo'fus

 

Post a Comment

Oratory is now open to everyone. PLEASE don't make me moderate it. Also, be kind enough to sign your orations.