Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Culture Wars Take Two

Ok, maybe I'm slightly more interested in the Culture Wars than I let on. Slightly.


Over at http://www.uncommondescent.com (I've never posted there, maybe I'll do that soon) Dave seems to be pretty ramped up over an atheist war at the panda's thumb, which is an evolution-is-the-truth-the-whole-truth-and-nothing-but-the-truth blog. I'm all for the atheists pounding each other into nothingness, but I don't really see how it's helping the Intelligent Design cause to be gloating over someone else's petty little insult war.

I'd be happier if Dr. Dembski et al stuck to the science. But hey, that's not my blog over there.

(Alright, I confess I went and checked out some of the flame war. Some of it was kind of funny.)

10 Eloquent Orations:

On 6/29/2006 07:58:00 PM, Blogger IAMB waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

... And everyone else would be happier if Bill got rid of Dave. He's just an arrogant ass who won't tolerate anyone who disagrees with him and likes to sling childish insults. You ought to ask him sometime why they banned him from Panda's Thumb.

He's been asked several times by others and never answered honestly (good thing some people archived the post that got him banned).

Dembski's blog ran much better without him and should have stayed that way. Oh well.

 

On 6/29/2006 08:35:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Well Hello IAMB. I appreciate your stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. I hope you like the digs.

I know a lot of people don't seem to care much for Dave. I'm afraid whatever happened between him and the Panda's Thumb people predates my blogucation, so I can't really comment on that.

You are free to further explain here, though. I don't imagine I'll be doing much "banning" here for anything other than rudeness.

I'll also apologize for any offense I may have caused in my first few posts. I really wasn't quite ready to go "public" just yet, but oh well.

I thought about removing those posts when I first read your comments, but I think that would be dishonest of me. I made those comments, they were rude, I apologize, and I admit it.

Thank you again for stopping by, I hope you'll hang around.

JanieBelle

 

On 6/30/2006 03:10:00 AM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

iamb

This is rich. Lessee, I sling childish insults but who's calling whom an arrogant ass? Must be your insult isn't childish, eh? Yeah, that's it. That's the ticket.
And tolerant too!

And over on Panda's Thumb. Don't you just love how tolerant they are of the people who disagree with neoDarwinism? It's a virtual love fest of tolerance. No one who disagrees is ever treated with anything other than utmost respect, courtesy, and kindness.

And speaking of tolerant, I just love how tolerant y'all are when it comes to toleranting us having our opinion on the great mystery of organic evolution as a little addendum to yours in public school.

Oh hold it, I got that one wrong. You sue us like in Dover and Cobb county if we even mention the slightest criticism of your theory. How tolerant is that, IAMB?

I don't have to insult you, buddy. All I have to do is describe you and the insult goes along with it for free.

TTFN

Yours in tolerance and goodwill,
Dave

 

On 6/30/2006 08:34:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Ok, boys, that's enough. Insults can be slung on other blogs, but not here.

I admit that I fired the opening salvo, but I'm now calling a cease fire.

Tell you what. I'll start a new post for science. No attacks, no culture war stuff, just science. I'll set the ground rules in that post. Follow them or don't come back. That applies to everyone.

 

On 6/30/2006 02:21:00 PM, Blogger IAMB waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Tolerant... yup.

Let me ask you, Dave: how long did they put up with you at PT before they banned you? A year? And they still haven't raked Larry/Andy H/(Whatever he's going by this month) over the coals despite violating several posting rules. You, on the other hand, ban people for simple disagreement... even ones on your side (JAD ring a bell?).

As far as childish insults, the "arrogant ass" bit, I admit, wasn't so nice of me so your "I don't have to insult you, buddy. All I have to do is describe you and the insult goes along with it for free" bit makes us even I guess. However, when I see you slinging mud in threads at UD (especially the Flank/PZ stuff) insinuating man-on-man action is just about, say, first or second grade. It's as bad as VoxDay calling anyone he disagrees with "girls", as though that's some kind of insult.

This is rich though:
And speaking of tolerant, I just love how tolerant y'all are when it comes to toleranting us having our opinion on the great mystery of organic evolution as a little addendum to yours in public school.

You just stated exactly why it doesn't belong in the science classroom. At this point, all you have is "opinion" and a couple good hunches. The moment you guys actually have some work and results behind your hunches I'd be happy to see ID in the classroom (though I may be alone in this one among the evolution camp). Get yourself a real theory, please. Until then, do the work and tell the school districts to be patient. Every time one of them jumps the gun and this thing ends up in court, it hurts your side.

To use a tired adage: this isn't a sprint... it's a marathon.

... And of course we sue you to keep the criticism out. Why? Because you and I both know that the the whole point of teaching criticisms (and you're smart enough to know that YEC arguments will be used right next to the ID ones, which also hurts you) is so kids will fall into the two model trap.

I do, by the way, have to give Sal credit for getting rid of the IDEA club "Christian" requirement. That one was a really bad idea in the first place.

Ah, now that I've said my piece, I'm not entirely sure how to end this. Not sure I can match your stinging wit.

Wait.

I've got it:
I'm outta here! -IAMB

 

On 6/30/2006 02:25:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

ENOUGH. Science in the science thread, NO FLAME WARS.

 

On 6/30/2006 05:25:00 PM, Blogger IAMB waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Sorry... couldn't help it.

*Hangs head in shame and walks toward corner*

 

On 6/30/2006 05:29:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

All right Matt, you're forgiven this once.

BUT THAT'S IT!!! NO MORE CULTURE WAR HERE AND THAT GOES FOR EVERYBODY.

If you can't be adult, you can't play here.

I'll give Dave a day or two to start the science thread, cuz I'm sure he's busy.

You can come out of the corner, now Matt if you play nice.

:)

 

On 7/02/2006 02:11:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Hi James,

Thank you for stopping by. I have a science thread set up for this discussion. Dave gets to go first, though, because his comment was attacked first.

Please read the rules I posted in that thread before you comment there, though.

 

On 7/02/2006 02:48:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Well that was rather rude, and I specifically asked that this conversation be taken there.

This is not a battle field for the culture wars, nor is it a place for you to make denigrating comments to anyone else.

And if you insist on bellowing about spelling and grammar on your own blog, perhaps you should learn to spell "Damn".

Please don't bother returning.

Thread closed.

 

Oratory is now open to everyone. PLEASE don't make me moderate it. Also, be kind enough to sign your orations.