Wednesday, July 26, 2006

On The Heels Of Demons

Come the angels.


My darling sister, in all her glory, is better than an angel.

As you regulars know, I'm staying with my sister for the summer. I was supposed to go to school in England this fall, but that fell through in a big way.

I'm not crazy about the idea of going back to Columbus, but I have no place to live here. Kate and I have been talking about our own place. We each have a little money in the bank, and my Dad offered to pay the rent (within reason, of course) as long as I stayed in school.

So life isn't over, it just took a sharp left turn when I wasn't paying attention.

But NOW. Now comes the moment. The moment when my dearest darling sister really goes to bat for me. Family is a wonderful thing.

As you also know, Ruthie is pregnant with her third child. The house here is already cozy, and with Kate and I stuck in limbo and another baby on the way, it was getting positively packed.

Ruthie and her hubby had been talking about getting a bigger place. Before I got up this morning, they apparently had a long talk with Kate. And also apparently, they liked what she had to say.

Ruthie's house is paid for, free and clear. She and her gaggle of geese are going to buy a big new house, but they're not going to sell this one. At least, not to anyone else. They've offered to sell it to us, dirt cheap, (over $20K below market price!) on a land contract. Between what Kate and I can afford to spare from savings for the down payment, that's going to leave us with a $250/month house payment... which my Dad has offered to pay (same deal, though, only as long as I stay in college).

So the road of life has veered sharply back to the right and straightened out. I'm going to college, just not in England, and Kate and I will own our home without a house payment. We'll still have enough in savings to live off for a while, as long as we don't splurge too much (no plasma big screen TV). And as a present from my parents for Kate's upcoming separation from the military, Kate and I are going to England on vacation. Kate cleared it with the Guys in Green today, so the Corps won't cause us a problem. She even took care of her passport. It'll be here in two weeks.

"Ups and downs, Janie. Ups and downs." That's what keeps running through my head.

We'd be idiots not to take them up on it. We're not idiots.


5 Eloquent Orations:

On 7/27/2006 08:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

I drop you an email when I get home from work.

vino of wil

 

On 7/27/2006 08:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Oh by the way, you better not miss the British Museum. If you want to see fossils and learn about evolution there are few places better.

vino of wil

 

On 7/27/2006 08:32:00 AM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but aren't you guys moving a little fast in your relationship?

 

On 7/27/2006 08:42:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Ok, vino! We'll be watching for it.

 

On 7/27/2006 08:43:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Dave said,
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but aren't you guys moving a little fast in your relationship?

Are we jealous, dear Dave? (just joking, of course)

:)

Kate and I have discussed this, and yes, we seem to be rolling headlong down the track. It's a little scary, but hey, I've got a US Marine looking out for me!

It's not something we planned exactly this way, but sometimes you just have to roll with the punches.

It's a big gamble, but I like the odds.

Kisses,
JanieBelle and Kate

 

Post a Comment

Oratory is now open to everyone. PLEASE don't make me moderate it. Also, be kind enough to sign your orations.