Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Letter to Guthrie

I'll make you a deal. I don't know if you can actually comment without a blogger ID. But I will turn off moderation, and look in the settings to see if that's possible. I'll get back to you in the comments on this thread.

Here's what has to happen, though. I'll have to patrol each and every thread several times a day, to go through and delete offensiveness. That's a lot of extra work. If it becomes too much, I'll turn comment moderation back on.

So, give me a little bit and I'll see what I can do about the comments.

If you guys can knock off the "Dave is an Asshole" crap, we'll be all good. In fact, it's probably best if you just don't even mention him. Not even obliquely. I really would like some more of you guys comment here, and not just on the science stuff.

One more observation. If you guys were much of a fan club, I'd at least have my own thread.

:)

19 Eloquent Orations:

On 7/12/2006 08:43:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Done. I think you'll show up as anonymous, if you don't have a blogger ID. Please be kind enough not to remain anonymous, and sign your comments with some sort of handle, so I know who I'm talking to. Your AtBC handle would be dandy.

Thanks,

JanieBelle

 

On 7/12/2006 08:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Ahh, cool.
I think that your secretly a fan of "After the bar closes", why else would you read it so soon?

(My excuse is that I am at work)

guthrie

 

On 7/12/2006 08:53:00 AM, Blogger Clint Bourgeois waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

If you want your own thread come on over and start commenting. Talk to Wes or SteveStory about starting your own thread.

 

On 7/12/2006 08:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

I'd agree with Burgeois rage- just come over, log in, and start posting. If you can run a blog, you can handle AtBC.

Can you not get one of those little scrambled letter thingies going so that only real people can post because only they can read the letters? I'm sure I've seen them on some blogs, I think they work. I would be interested to know how much junk you have to delete though.
guthrie

 

On 7/12/2006 09:04:00 AM, Blogger Clint Bourgeois waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

The scrambled letter thingies are called CAPTCHAs.

 

On 7/12/2006 09:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

thanks, thats interesting. I've been seeing them for years now, and never bothered to find out what they were called. Is that an example of how lazy i can get, or of the kind of habituation you get online?
I mean, how many of you, when installing or downloading stuff, just tick the box that says "I have read the terms and conditions" even when you havn't?
guthrie

 

On 7/12/2006 09:41:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Wow, that was quick.

I just finished fixing my Vitamin C post.

I'll see about the Capthas. I think there is a setting for that.

I've not made a secret of reading AtBC. I'm a fan.

That being said, I like the insulation over here for now. Plus, I have to be very careful for Corporal Kate's sake. We don't want her real identity out while she's still in the Marine Corps.

I like the comedy over there from over here for now.

 

On 7/12/2006 09:43:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Ok, done. It's called "word verification" here.

 

On 7/12/2006 11:12:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Wow, that's scary.

Thank you for the heads up on that.

 

On 7/12/2006 11:12:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Whoever you were.

 

On 7/12/2006 11:14:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Who was that masked man?

Why that was the Lone Ranger.

:)

 

On 7/12/2006 11:21:00 AM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

There is someone in the ATBC crowd who shall remain nameless for the time being that constructed a complete fake profile of me on blogger including my real name and birthdate (which he must've obtained by a Lexus-Nexus search to get my driver's license info) and email address then went around pretending to be me. A pretty stupid move given I know his 411 and he's a medical doctor with an income that made my attorney salivate and strain at the leash to get a piece of it.

I just thought I'd give you a heads up to what some of them are capable of and how easy it is.

 

On 7/12/2006 11:50:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

I'm sorry someone did that to you Dave. First time it happens here, we go back to comment moderation and bannings. I WILL COOPERATE WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT ON THIS!

Just so ya'know.

 

On 7/13/2006 07:24:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Over at the fan club, guthrie said, "I thought I saw a post on janiebelles blog saying she wasnt banned at UD. I cant find it again though, but we shall see if she starts posting again.

Dave says I'm not banned at UD. I'll be back over there soon.

Right now I have a pile on my plate with Vitamin C genes on your side and Sal's numbers on their side.

I'm getting the vitamin C argument, but I'm having trouble coming up with Sal's initial numbers in comment 58. I'm working to resolve that.

That said, my brain isn't in gear yet today. I'm only awake at this unGodly hour so I can say goodbye to Kate before she leaves (in the sweetest possible way, of course).

;)

Man I need to figure out the smilie thing.

 

On 7/13/2006 08:07:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Ok, I apologize to anyone faint of heart who may have clicked on the "sweetest possible way" link above. Not my ususal style.

I plead Warm Afterglow as a defense.

;)

 

On 7/13/2006 08:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Hopefully anyone reading your blog will be old enough to have had sex education lessons in school. Here in the UK we had them aged 13 or so.
Mind you, that link was a leeeetle bit much- if you dont watch out everyone will think your not really a sweet innocent 17 year old.

As for UD and numbers and arguments, fine, carry on, take as long as you like. I can say that secure in my position as self appointed defender of the scientific orthodoxy, so of course, I think that all intelligent sensible people will agree with me.
The folks at uncommon descent probably think in a similar manner, but with some of the words changed.
guthrie

 

On 7/13/2006 08:45:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Hi guthrie.

Sweet? yes.
17? yes.
Innocent? not so much anymore.

;)

IT'S KATE'S FAULT!

And oh, do I need to thank her for that.

Repeatedly.

 

On 7/13/2006 10:25:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

How am I supposed to get any science done NOW?

Look what just happened NOW!

(In the comments.)

Dream a little dream of me.

;)

 

On 7/13/2006 10:33:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

(That was more of a whine than a demand. It's kinda hard to convey tone of voice and body language through a keyboard.)

 

Post a Comment

Oratory is now open to everyone. PLEASE don't make me moderate it. Also, be kind enough to sign your orations.