Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Thoreau's Words to Live By

In my quest to express myself, my dear, sick Janie has directed me to a quote that sums it up.


In a book called Walden, which I admit I have not yet read, Henry David Thoreau wrote
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck the marrow out of life, to put to rout all that was not life, and not, when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived."

What else is there to say?

If my lover feels better tomorrow, we're planning a trip to the bookstore. She for some science books, I for a copy of Walden.

6 Eloquent Orations:

On 8/04/2006 04:24:00 AM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

That gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "life sucks". :-)

 

On 8/04/2006 04:47:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Indeed it does.

I've always liked that quote. Walden is about Thoreau. He really went to the woods and lived in a cabin and wrote about it.

Now Kate has a better tag line than I do.

:(

Kidding, of course. It really sums her up.

The funny thing about that quote, though is that most of the people who quote it are bookworms who don't know anything at all about "sucking the marrow out of life". I try to do both. I'm not always successful, so I tend to take turns.

Bookworm now, Marrow Sucker later. That sort of thing.

"Eclectic" or "eccentric" are generous terms, but "flake", "ADD kid", "girl with the world's shortest attention span" are the more usual fare I hear about myself.

I prefer to think of myself as "diversified", or "Junior Renaissance Chick".

:)

Kisses,
JanieBelle

 

On 8/04/2006 06:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Different people, different lives, different bones and marrow. Some like being bookworms. Some like being all action. The tricky bit is knowing where you stand on it all and your own preferences. But you seem to have a rough idea so far.
guthrie

 

On 8/05/2006 06:02:00 AM, Blogger Lifewish waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching. - Dogbert's words to live by

Anyone else got inspirational or intriguing quotes to share?

Also, continuing the literary theme, I've just been reading Paradise Lost for the first time and want to check: is it usual to really sympathise with Satan when reading that?

 

On 8/05/2006 02:40:00 PM, Blogger blipey waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

is it usual to really sympathise with Satan when reading that?

Yes. I believe that is the point. It acheives two things, I think:

1. Becomes a little disconcerting (especially if you have fundie leanings)

2. Because of this, it hopefully causes a little introspection--actually engaging the material with your brain and all.

 

On 8/06/2006 08:28:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Speaking of "Rooting for the wrong guy",

I remember reading The Little Pilgrim's Progress (I think it was adapted for kids from the original). The whole time, I just wanted to reach into the book and slap that Christian kid.

I hated that book so much, I refused to read the "grown up" version.

Of course, that wasn't the author's intent in this case.

Kisses,
JanieBelle

 

Post a Comment

Oratory is now open to everyone. PLEASE don't make me moderate it. Also, be kind enough to sign your orations.