Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Open Message to Fundies

Guest post by Rich Hughs

Hey Fundies, shut up! – It’s for your own good. Let’s assume that you are actually on the right path and there is a god and all that, why go and spoil it all by being such bad adverts for your cause?



If I saw a subset of society that was loving, caring, smart, a joy to be around, tolerant of others and who lead by example I might think, “Gosh! What’s their secret?” I’d be all over that like it had blue cheese on it.

Similarly, If I see a group of intolerant, bigoted, science denying lying braggarts, I’m likely to think,”Gods people? Bwahahahahah!”

Here’s my WEDGIE strategy for you.

Focus on being nice, not shit.
Let people convert themselves without help, because you club is SOOO kewl.
If reality doesn’t fit with your creation story, just move on. Don’t start a thousand year disinformation campaign.
Try to be inclusive, not exclusive.
The creator probably doesn’t like to be misrepresented…
Your ‘inerrant book’ is not a logical argument, nor a font of fact.

It’s a big world, with room for everyone. I understand the unknown is scary and mortality sucks. We are all both noble and wretched together. There is no one above my fellow man on my list, in all candor, you can’t say the same.

3 Eloquent Orations:

On 11/14/2006 11:57:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Well said, Rich.

 

On 11/14/2006 05:09:00 PM, Blogger PiGuy waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

The only thing that I can think to add is that I have nothing to add.

 

On 11/15/2006 02:25:00 PM, Blogger Clint Bourgeois waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Nice, Rich. But it'll never happen. There are some sects like the UCC that do follow a similar philosophy, but there are too many sects that look at the UCC and think they are just as bad as atheists.

 

Post a Comment

Oratory is now open to everyone. PLEASE don't make me moderate it. Also, be kind enough to sign your orations.