Saturday, July 22, 2006

New Banner At The Top Of The Page

What do you think of it?

The background color is black, because Collier's painting of Lilith looks so much better on black.

The painting of Lilith was done by John Collier in 1892. Lilith is a character from Judeo-Christian mythos, ripped off from the Babylonians. She is said to have been Adam's first wife, made from the dust of the earth as he was, rather than from Adam's rib as Eve was. When Adam told her to get on her back like a good little wife because he was superior and should boink her from on top, Lilith told Adam to go yank it himself. "I will not lie below", said she. Hence the subtitle of this blog.

Anyways, Lilith ran off and consorted with the three big-time demons and spawned lots and lots of little demons. You can check Wikipedia for the rest of the story, it's really fascinating to me.

This is the hottie who lent her name to The Lilith Fair, a roaming festival of female musicians.

The blog name is in Edwardian Script, because it's girly and pretty. That's it.

There are two hurricane signal flags at either end of the banner, recognizing my lover's pet name for me when I'm on one of my "Rude Raving Bitch Rants". She calls me "Hurricane Jane".

And last, but not least, the roses. There are a dozen roses on the banner for Kate. Here at UDreamOfJanie we hand out virtual roses for those we feel deserve a special sweet recognition from us. Raspberries are the antithesis of roses, and we hand them out too. We've been trying to keep a running list in The Roses And Raspberries thread.

Kate gets a dozen roses from me everytime she clicks a page on the blog.

3 Eloquent Orations:

On 7/23/2006 01:13:00 AM, Blogger blipey waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Not sure exactly how raspberries are the antithesis of roses, but I'll take your word for it.

As for giving roses to Kate, have you ever done it while saying:

Good-morrow, Kate; for that's your name, I hear.
...for you are call'd plain Kate,
And bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst;
But, Kate, the prettiest Kate in Christendom,
Kate of Kate-Hall, my super-dainty Kate,
For Dainties are all cates...

I have now.  Thank you for a wonderful morning.

 

On 7/23/2006 07:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Ahhh, they are hurricane flags. That makes sense. But I still think the roses are a little badly placed, since they cover up the letters.

As for Lilith, what I find interesting is that she is out of Jewish myth, and not mentioned in the bible as far as I can see. Yet if you go into various apocryphal books, you do find mention of her, and lots of others. One of the most famous of these books is "The book of Enoch".
ANd of course the devil only crops up one in Mathew mark luke and john, that i recall. Yet there is an entire elaborate hierarchy of hell and angels and stuff. HAve you read Dantes inferno?
guthrie

 

On 7/23/2006 02:13:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Hi blipey,

Raspberries are only the antithesis of roses on this blog. Since we hand out roses to them who says good stuff and raspberries (the noise, not the real berry) to them who says bad stuff, they are opposites here, right?

As for Petruchio, I hadn't until this morning. That does a body good. Consider the Shrew tamed for the moment.

;)

Hi guthrie,

I've read the Divine Comedy, but it's been a while. I have my own copy, so maybe I'll do it again soon. The whole idea of most of Judeo-Christianity's belief system not even appearing in their own holy books has always fascinated me. And it really seems sometimes like they edited out some of the best stories.

Kisses,
JanieBelle

 

Post a Comment

Oratory is now open to everyone. PLEASE don't make me moderate it. Also, be kind enough to sign your orations.