Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Fireworks!

There's no better place to see fireworks on the 4th of July than on a military base.



It was a positively sultry summer night here last night. We went to a Marine Corps base not far from here to watch the fireworks display, and it must have been 95 degrees. The Marines seemed to be doing ok in the heat, though. They're pretty tough.

Not me, though. I was sweating a little. Even in a mini and midriff, I couldn't quite get comfortable. It was pleasant, though. I carried my sandals and walked barefoot through the field, looking at all the concession stands, the kiddie rides, and of course, the Marines.

And they looked back. A lot.

I like being looked at. So what? They like looking. So what? Get your thong out of a knot. It's BIOLOGY, duh. Perfectly natural. If I didn't like being visually appreciated, I'd wear a burkah.

Anyways, I was rather intrigued by one particular Marine. This Marine surprised me with a very thorough look. I returned it happily. So we got to talking, and wound up yacking away for like 15 minutes. We have a lot in common. We wound up exchanging numbers, but I think I'll let her call me first.

Put a sock in it, prude.




14 Eloquent Orations:

On 7/05/2006 10:31:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Oh, and there is just nothing like hearing "Stars and Stripes Forever" and "Overture 1812" being played by a Marine Corps band, while fireworks explode and cannons are being fired. If you ever, EVER get a chance to experience this, DO NOT MISS IT!!!

 

On 7/06/2006 05:44:00 AM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Hey, there's something we have in common. I too had a WM (woman marine) girlfriend! HAHAHA - I kill me sometimes.

Seriously. I did. I was a Marine at the time too. Sergeant Springer, 1974-1978, USMC. That's me. Spent most of my hitch at MCAS El Toro in southern California a few miles from the beach. I was an electronics technician in the air wing so it wasn't like I was humping a rifle shooting up bad guys. The Marines need a few smart men as well as a few good ones. :-)

If you're vactioning down south and went to a Marine base for the 4th I can only think of MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina. A good friend of mine got that duty assignment the same time I got El Toro. I suppose Quantico, Virginia is another option but that's officer training and not a regular Marine base. MCRD Parris Island, SC would be another option but I didn't think that was open to the general public. That's where I went for boot camp.

 

On 7/06/2006 07:48:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Hi Dave!

That's funny, I was wondering why some people called you "Dave Springer". Shooom. Right over my head.

Let's see.

Cherry Point - Foul tip.
Quantico - Swing and a miss!
Parris Island - And he goes down swinging!

HAHAHAHA

Think French.

(I'm not worried about people finding out exactly where I am, I'll explain why in another post in a little bit.)

You kill me too! You're so funny. It's kinda wierd, because I've never really been attracted to another girl before... (OK, I might have had a little crush on a particular teacher I had before I graduated, but I'm not sure.) (Oh, and there was another girl on my cheerleading squad, but let's not go there.) I certainly wouldn't say I'm a lesbian. I'm pretty open minded, though. We'll see if she calls.

Oh, and what you do with your rifle is your own business!

HAHAHAHA I kill me, too.

 

On 7/06/2006 04:50:00 PM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Beaufort

I forgot that's the base just outside PI on the mainland. I had to go to the doctor there once too. Say, are the sand fleas as wonderful as I remember them? I was there November through February and there were plenty. We weren't allowed to slap at them. We'd be out on the parade deck drilling and the little blood suckers would crawl up your nose, in your ears, under your collar and cuffs, all over your face. You'd be trying everything to get rid of them without getting caught. And they don't have a syringe like a mosquito. The little bustards chew their way down like digging a well.

 

On 7/06/2006 04:53:00 PM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

P.S.

"Humping" is Marine jargon for carrying something. That said, we were supposed to give our rifle a girl's name. I guess I better stop while I'm ahead, huh?

 

On 7/06/2006 05:02:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

SSSSTTTTTTRRRRRRRIKE FOUR!

(You're gonna run out of batters in a hurry, at this rate.)

We do have sand fleas, though.

And I knew what you meant by "humping", silly. It was a joke!

No, do continue. Now I'm interested in your rifle humping story. :)

What was your rifle's name?

 

On 7/07/2006 06:52:00 AM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Damn. I had to google it.

Camp Lejeune. The east coast counterpart to Camp Pendelton. I'll plead ignorance because I wasn't a ground pounder. I also discovered there were far more USMC bases than I thought there were.

On another note. I accidently typed udog instead of udoj on the way here.

Which leads me to another story. I've been staying on my boat with one of my dogs the last few days (I have broadband on my boat) He's a 7-month old Anatolian Shepherd (predominantly by appearance, I don't really know) rescued when someone who doesn't deserve to breath abandoned 7 pups out in the boonies where I found them on New Year's eve. We raised all 7 and kept two - Tucker and Keira. Keira was the only female, much taller, and a bit heavier. Tucker was the runt of the litter and almost dead so he got special TLC and a special spot in my heart.

Anyhow, him and his sister play pretty rough and he injured his shoulder a few weeks ago. It's a little lame when he hasn't moved for a while and gets reinjured easily when his sister tackles him. She especially likes trying to foil him when he's fetching a ball and he would rather die than fail to complete a ball retrieval mission. She latches onto his collar and he's strong enough to drag her across the yard with the ball in his mouth to get it back to me then after he delivers it he deals with his sister. The vet said it might be this common joint problem that large breed dogs get and prescribed an anti-inflammatory and try to limit tussles with his big sister.

He's inseperable from his sister. They do everything together. So I figured I'd take him out to the boat for a few days to give his shoulder a chance to heal and he could get his exercise fetching a ball thrown in the water which is low impact. I wore out both him and my arm yesterday. He's sleeping at my feet as I type this. For the first time in 3 weeks I haven't seen him limp for a whole day. Not even when I walked him to shore to pee (both of us, I like to lead by example - hahaha) this morning.

Anyhow, the udog.blogspot.com website starts out talking about dog exercise which prompted this schpiel.

 

On 7/07/2006 06:55:00 AM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

P.S.

I didn't name my rifle. That's too darn silly even for me. I don't even name my boats. I name my children and my pets. If it can't come when I call it then it doesn't need a name is how I figure it.

 

On 7/07/2006 09:59:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Wooooo Hooooo! Give the man a cookie! (I was beginning to think I might have to email you a map!)

My brother-in-law tells me that it's only the largest USMC base in the entire world!

Kiss the dogs for me.

(Would it be legal to retroactively name your rifle? After me, of course. :) )

I'm gonna have to do something about getting smilies on this blog.

 

On 7/07/2006 01:57:00 PM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

What else could I do? Seven crying bedraggled 4-week old puppies without a mom miles from nowhere. I didn't even LIKE dogs before this. If I'd left them for dead that would take 7 lifetimes (in dog years) to pay off the bad karma. I'm here to tell you 7 big shepherd pups without a mom are a handful. They're like human babies in that they don't sleep more than 2 hours at a time, they don't all sleep at the same time, and they're scared and lonely and loud when they wake up at night. At least they were paper trained but the amount of paper 7 big puppies need is no laughing matter.

 

On 7/07/2006 02:02:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

You done good, Sergeant Springer!

Kayla is a big-time dog lover, and rescuing "seven crying bedraggled 4-week old puppies without a mom miles from nowhere" will go a long way toward getting on her good side.

She's a sweetie!

:)

 

On 7/07/2006 02:03:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

and so are you, by the way!

JanieBelle

 

On 7/07/2006 02:25:00 PM, Blogger DaveScot waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

I just took them both for about a 1 mile walk. When they're together it's hard to keep them from pulling. One at a time they behave and walk alongside at a loose leash. Just you and the dog aren't enough to make a pack. Instead of trying to get them both to heel (they will, but I have to constantly remind them to slow down and wait for me) I let them pull. So there's 110 lbs of dog pulling 220 lbs of me. No contest. They were so tired when we got back it took them an hour just to stop panting at top speed. They're sleeping on my feet now instead of wanting to go in and out the back door every 30 seconds. Three (counting you) makes a pack and their behavior changes. That's according to The Dog Whisperer. Ceasar is awesome. He says the best way to handle energetic dogs is to exhaust them. He puts on roller blades and lets dogs tow him around until they're worn out. I think I might try that. These two are big enough now although up a steep hill might be a problem. Roller blades have some kind of brakes, right? Hills gone up, after all, must be gone down too.

 

On 7/07/2006 02:33:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Careful on the hills, Dave. We don't want any broken bits.

Have you read this post yet?

 

Post a Comment

Oratory is now open to everyone. PLEASE don't make me moderate it. Also, be kind enough to sign your orations.