Thursday, July 06, 2006

Psycho Email - and a small confession

(I changed the title of this post, because I think it was unfair to the rest of the evolution supporters I've been dealing with. Just so ya'know.)

Allrighty then. I've really tried hard to be open minded to this whole ID vs. Evolution thing, and I've met some really nice people. But some of them are just plain scary.



While I have been carrying on several conversations on UD, here, and by email, I have gotten to meet (electronically) some very nice people. Most of them are very kind, and very helpful, even when we disagree.

This morning, however, I received the following (edited) email:



"janiebelle" or whoever the XXXX you are,

I know you are not really who you say you are. I searched on google adn I did a private investigation. You are a fraud. There is no janie or janiebelle macknight in Columbus and I have checked adn so did my invesigater. Stop being a fraud. I even did a check on 411.com and you name did not come up in the south. I will find out who you are and you will be exposed.
When I find out who you are, I will post your name all over the internet so that everyone knows you are a liar.
You are probably XXXX or XXXX2, my bet is XXXX2. [I just edited out his guesses, because they weren't necessary to know, and insulting derivatives to boot.]

[Sorry everyone, I won't even repeat what this psycho said for the rest of the email. Suffice it to say, he has mental problems.]

XXXXXXX



I have left most of what I printed above intact, but I did do some editing so it was easier to read.

Here's what I have to say about that:



XXXXXXX,

You are a freak.

JanieBelle



Now, for the confession. No, McKnight is not EXACTLY my real last name. Before Kaylaface and I began our little blogs, my Dad suggested that we choose another sept of the MacNaughten Clan to use for last names, just in case of nutbags like this. It's close enough, and I don't need to be stalked. So XXXXXXX, PISS OFF!

The really hypocritical part of this is that this person didn't even sign his email with his real name!

(Update before I even finished writing this post ---

I just spoke to my Dad on the phone. He suggested I remove this person's signature, even though it's not his real name. So I did. Also I have one more message for you, XXXXXXX:

Tell your new cellmate Bubba that I expect a "thank you" card, BITCH! Maybe he'll teach you to read and write.

Sorry to everyone else.)


8 Eloquent Orations:

On 7/06/2006 08:53:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Just so I'm clear. I don't believe that this person is a good example of evolution supporters, or atheists, or human beings in general. This person needs medical attention immediately.

JanieBelle

 

On 7/06/2006 02:10:00 PM, Blogger blipey waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

I would like suggest that you continue to read UD. However, in your own best interest, I think you should also try to "carry on some conversations" at other forums--whether on the web or actually at school, library, etc.

To be open minded requires more than making a statement to that effect; it also requires an influx of differing opinions (otherwise it is useless to be open minded).

While I will not doubt that your email came from an "evolution supporter", I would be interested to hear if you have witnessed any odd behavior from "ID supporters"?

The tone of your post seems to imply that IDers are a sane, completely rational lot while "evolutionists" can occasionally be wacky. Certainly this cannot be a true sampling of either group; people are people, wackiness need not necessarily be associated with a particular field of knowledge.

Speaking of knowledge, how has the search for the positive scientific arguments for ID gone? I notice that DaveScot stilled hasn't deigned to inform us mere mortals what they might be.

-may gravity be kind.

 

On 7/06/2006 03:08:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

blipey,

I'm hearing what you're saying.

I'm sorry if I wasn't quite clear enough, but let me try again.

While the person who wrote this email indicated that he was an evolution supporter, I did not take him to be representative of ANY group of people, other than the mentally disturbed.

That being said, allow me this comment:

While not every supporter of evolution has been rude, indeed the vast majority of them have turned out to be mannerly, polite to a fault, and quite helpful, the only people who have insulted me since I have opened this blog have been evolution supporters.

I believe that whack-jobs come from all walks of life, not just the evolution supporters. However, ON THIS BLOG, the only people who have caused me a problem... well, I'm getting redundant.

I think you understand what I'm saying.

To put your mind at ease, let me state here that I have also been reading at talkorigins, PT, and I have been keeping track of my little fan club at "After the Bar Closes". I'm JUST KIDDING ABOUT THE FAN CLUB! I've noticed that my name comes up from time to time, though. I'm flattered that you guys have even noticed little ol' me. (That site seems to have been experiencing some problems of late. Any idea what's up with that?) I won't comment there because I think I'd just be "cannon fodder" and that really doesn't entice me.

Back to my earlier point - I am aware, for instance, that that AFDave guy is a loon! And the Ghost of Paley? Nutjob if I ever saw one. k.e.? I don't even understand half of what (s)he says, so I just skip his/her comments for now. Lenny is a little too sarcastic for my tastes, though his points are often valid. PZ needs to switch to decaf. I guess my point here is that everybody is different, but the guy who wrote that email is flat out dangerous, no matter what side of which issue he takes.

I think my future policy is to ignore and delete anything I find to be that whacked out, from where ever it comes, because it's not worth getting me so upset. I just can't afford the eyeliner. :)

I think I have to really UNDERSTAND all the arguments before I can really figure out which one(s) hold water, and I'm trying to do that. Honestly, I really am.

Thank you for taking the time to comment here. I really do appreciate your participation.

 

On 7/06/2006 06:07:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Hi, dhogaza.

First, let me say welcome. It's always sweet to see a new commenter.

Second, I'd really rather not be insulted by anyone, if it's all the same to you.

Third, let me just point out the fact that I follow the conversations over there at After The Bar Closes and I see that you've taken a bit of an interest in my identity.

I have to say I'm a bit amused with your thoughts, but if you go all freakazoid on me like the guy who sent the email above, you're out of here.

NO INSULTS AND NO CULTURE WARS!

Try to watch your language. I'm not a prude, and I let a few swears loose myself sometimes (see above), but my Mom, my Aunt Mary, and my Niece Kaylaface all read this blog. Keep that in mind when you comment.

Just so we're on the same page.

Other than that, welcome and be kind.

 

On 7/06/2006 06:14:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

P.S.

(My secret identity is Catwoman, but don't tell anybody. The Joker might come looking for me!)

 

On 7/06/2006 09:04:00 PM, Blogger RogueHistorian waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

First, I'm new here and have not gone back and looked at all which has come before (I know, I'm being a bad historian, but I'm a little tired right now and if I don't say this while I'm thinking about it, I'll forget what I was going to say), so this may have already been addressed, but, meh - don't care, going to say it anyway.

I would hazard a guess that creationists/IDers who are insulting you are likely the ones who are so wrapped up in their views and ideas that anyone who even tries to look at things differently is instantly the enemy and must be confronted. Not so surprisingly, these are usually the same people who cannot think through their arguments and are left with nothing but insults. I know I've faced this sort of thing with religious zealots (usually "Christians") when I say I'm a pagan. Because I don't believe the Bible is God's word, I am evil and therefore my views do not matter. The get all puffed up with "righteous" indignation and go off on my. I've learned to listen, try to calm them down and discuss things with them, and if that doesn't work, I walk away knowing that the problem is with them - not me.

As for your nutcase emailer, he's probably just some bored punk - but . . . I'd still keep a watchful eye out. You never know just how crazy someone can be! RH

 

On 7/06/2006 09:18:00 PM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Hi RogueH.

That's all good, but it's not the ID/Creationism crowd that's doing the insulting.

Be a good historian when your not so tired, and look this whole thing over.

Other than that, welcome, hello, hang around!

 

On 7/07/2006 09:39:00 AM, Blogger JanieBelle waxed damned near poetic whilst opining...

Shoot. I positively HATE it when other people do it, now I've gone and done it.

That should read "you're", not "your".

Crap.

 

Post a Comment

Oratory is now open to everyone. PLEASE don't make me moderate it. Also, be kind enough to sign your orations.